Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Some Tuesday

Well, it has been one of THOSE days around here.

First, I had to go catch the UPS guy this morning to get a set of Nomex (fire clothing) from him, so that if I were called by USFS or CalFire, I'd have all my gear. I do now, ... but I wasn't.

So, the guy calls saying my load of hay will be here "... in about 2 hours." That was precisely at 12:18 p.m. The truck got here about 3:00 and the squeeze-loader, who puts it in the barn a stack of 64 bales at a time, made it about 5:00 p.m.

On the way out, we discovered the truck's weight had caused an old-old pipe under the road at the ditch to finally collapse. So ... the truck was driven out OVER the hole (straddling it with a neighbor guiding me) and got it on the downhill side. When Sharon came in she parked there too, so at least we can get out, but not without walking down the hill.

And, as I am making calls to see who can come and fix the problem, dig it all out and put in a new culvert, I learn that everybody that has a backhoe, also has a water truck, and USFS has contracted with them to take the water truck to the fire in Kern Canyon.

Well, doggone guys! I'm ready too! No calls yet for a messenger, though I am contracted and did go to the Post Fire down by Lebec.

But, looks like it will be AT LEAST 3-4 days AFTER the fire before the backhoes can get around. So ... we walk.

But at least I got my hay for winter in the barn.

No comments: