Friday, September 10, 2010

Big "Robert-Kitty"

Every once in a while here on our hilltop, we get a peek into nature. While fixing lunch today, as is my life-long habit I glanced out at the hills. (glancing, not lunch - though that too, I guess)

Motion caught my eye, and there was "our" big male bobcat that populates this area, trotting along outside my horse pasture (the 2.5 acre field in front of the house) and nosing around. He went behind a big rock and I lost him for a minute, then when I looked back, he was wandering along, looking for unsuspecting rabbits or squirrels.

It is always such a treat to see the big cat. He is approximately 18-20 inches tall at the shoulder, and a good solid 24 inches in length. It would be hard to estimate his weight very accurately, but I would guess a good 20-25 pounds. He would be a serious match for even a good sized dog.

Once about 6 years ago, Sharon and I saw he and his mate with two kittens. He studiously ignored the kids, sitting regally on his haunches beside them. But Mom was very watchful as they romped and played around in front of them. They were near a fence within 200 feet or less of the other house here on the hilltop, and could easily hear and see us. Obviously, they do not have any great fear of being around us.

We have a tiny Chihuahua, Tinker Bell, who is way too brave for her own good. When we let the three dogs out, I am a bit concerned this time of year especially, for both the coyote and the bobcat are seen too close to the house. A neighbor had a coyote come right into their yard and grab an adult doxy. Many stitches and a hefty vet bill later, the dog survived.

But, life on the hilltop means living in the presence of all manner of critters including snakes. But once in a while we get to see our more nocturnal neighbor, the one my brother Dale used to call a "robert-kitty."

No comments: