Friday, September 24, 2010

Some Moon, huh?

I've been thoroughly enjoying the gorgeous full moon the last couple of nights. I think it's spectacular.

I came home from a meeting last night about 9:15, and being blessed (?) with the opportunity to walk in the moonlight to get to the house .. well the bridge is still out and we have to park half way down the hill .. or is that UP the hill ... oh well, I digress. Walking up the hill in the moonlight, I was struck by the sharpness of the shadows cast by the two trees east of the broken bridge.

But, the new culvert pipe for the bridge was delivered yesterday, so we are indeed making progress. My backhoe guy said Wednesday evening he thought he'd get here on Tuesday next week to dig out the old one, and put in the new. Not too much more inconvenience.

Then this morning, when my bride tooled off to work at about 5:45 a.m., I walked with her to the car wearing a headband with a light on it so she can see to walk. Now it's not like the road is going to disappear, or there are any obstructions hiding along the way. But she wants to be certain there are no snakes, or maybe a wandering skunk. I have to admit, we've smelled one several times in the past 10 days or so.

On the way back to the house, I turned off the light as I much prefer the darkness and using whatever light is available. I was surprised that the moon, now much lower and in the western sky, was still bright enough to cast a very distinct shadow. And of course, Mars was hanging around brightly. Beautiful stuff that.

I was reading a blog posted by folks involved with the fire service, mostly from CalFire, and was a bit surprised to read their opinion that the fall mey be long, dry, and dangerous from a fire standpoint. Not that I want to see fires, but maybe I'll get to go on another fire before the season ends.

Well, I need to write another Daunt to Dillonwood column this weekend. I have a couple more short adventures with our mule Pick. I think I'll finish up with him for October 1st, and then look for a new subject for the 15th.

If you're reading this, and don't get the Porterville Recorder, and would like to read my Daunt to Dillonwood columns, drop me an e-mail, or just comment here, and I'll be glad to include you on my list. I copy and paste it into an e-mail and send it out that way. No big deal to add you to my address list.

No comments: