Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Quad Adventure

Long day, but home and back after it today, up way too early to be comfortable.

Because the bridge over the ditch is not passable, we are parking below the ditch, so I left everything in the truck last night. This morning it took 3 trips to haul everything up to the house on the quad. But it all got delivered.

And, the big metal culvert pipe to replace what has been in the ditch for probably 75 years, is due to be delivered Wednesday evening. The backhoe guy is to call me tonight, and we'll coordinate when he can put a crossing over the ditch back into operation.

A couple of years or more ago, I bought an old beater of a quad, which has turned out to be one of the better buys I have made. It saves a bunch of steps, and when you are running from the barn back to the shop, or from somewhere up on the hill back after a wrench or tool, it is invaluable.

I had a little drainage ditch up on the side of the hill I wanted to check on this morning, so hopped on the quad and started up the hill. At the first steep spot things got ugly! With a bang and sound that makes your stomach churn, it was obvious that my handy quad had a serious illness of some sort.

Exploring the possible problem, I discovered the chain had come off and had banged around a little, then bound up between a guard and the chain gear. Needing tools, I left it and walked back to the house, reminding me why I really like riding the quad on that journey.

A pocket of tools, not sure what exactly I needed, and another walk back to where my mechanical steed was parked sideways on the hillside, and I was ready to try to get the chain back on without doing damage. After about 15 minutes of prying, twiddling, and mumbling under my breath, the chain was back on the gear, but obviously much too loose.

I went much more carefully up the hill, checked on what I had started to do in the first place, then back to the shop. After a good hour or more of learning how it all worked, I had the chain much tighter (but not too tight) and everything buttoned up.

After a quick run down the drive, zig-zagging past the problems with the bridge, I checked the chain. It had settled into a good tension and appears to be ready to work again.

It is amazing how much we get used to having our conveniences.

No comments: