Monday, September 27, 2010

Hot Weather Again - Right on Schedule

Here comes the heat again, right on time. Seems that nearly every year the first part of October is hot, but nights are really nice. And, here it is.

The leaves of the Sycamore trees in the river bottom are beginning to show some color at last. During the spring and much of the summer, they are a vibrant green. Now most of those bright green leaves are taking on a rather dusty look. They appear almost as if a dusting of soot or some other fine powder had settled on them dulling the green. They aren't turning bright yellow as they do prior to fluttering to the ground. But the yellow colors are coming very soon.

I finished the Old Pick series today, and will submit it to the Recorder this afternoon. I want to let it "rest" in my mind a bit, then go back and read it again. It seems I always find something to edit if I look carefully.

I have had the greatest delight hearing so many nice comments from readers about these tales about a goofy old mule. People have stopped me in restaurants, in a meeting or in a store, and made nice comments about the latest story, and the series in general. If you are one of those folk who've shared with me, I thank you very much.

The bridge over our irrigation ditch is supposed to be fixed tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. Sharon is well ready, as she has been so used to walking out the back door to the cars, not out the door, around the house and half way down the hill to the cars.

Some mornings when she leaves for work it is exceptionally dark, as the dawn in the east has not broken and the moon is already down. I put on a headband light (it looks so fashionable) and go down with her. It's not that she is really afraid of the dark. As she puts it, "It's those critters I can't see that worry me."

Last night we returned home about 8:30 p.m. As we drove up the drive, one of our neighborhood friends, a skunk, (Pepe LePew as my mother used to quip) was making his or her way through the grass away from the road. I parked below the bridge, and we started up the drive conversing about the various critters of the night. I pointed out they could see much better in the dark than she, and all they'd do would be move away from us. She was still concerned for we hadn't remembered to take a light with us.

However, with any luck at all, we will get the bridge fixed tomorrow, and that will solve the problem.

The Fire on Black Mountain book will not get another reading until next week, as our Wednesday night critique group has a conflict this week. I'm hoping to get some time in the next day or two to continue preparing chapters for reading to this wonderful bunch of professionals. They have provided me with so much help and so many wonderful ideas. I am very grateful to each of these women for their assistance, and teaching.

I am impatient to finish this book. I am determined to get through it once more, editing and tweaking every word. When that is finished, I'll prepare to submit it to publishers in hopes of attracting someone to put it in print. To hold in my hands a finished book which I have crafted ... with my name on the spine ... what an experience that will be. Some day.

And maybe you'll get to read it yourself one day. I sure hope so.

No comments: