Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sycamores, Skunks, and a forgetful Notary

You might think the headline is somehow related.  It's not.  I just wanted to get your attention.

Well, actually it is in a way.

First, the colors of the Sycamore leaves in the river bottom along Upper Globe Drive, range from brilliant green to nearly yellow.  One tree, as you get off the bridge, is at least 100 feet from the river's edge, on relatively dry ground.  The leaves on that tree are far from green, most turning a dry-yellow, and will be falling before too long.  Many others standing at the very edge of the river, with roots extending under the flowing water, thus constantly watered, are still holding their green colors, though most have taken on the dusty hue.  But very few yellow-colored leaves are in among the green.

Sometimes in the fall, when the season is about to turn, the green leaves of all the trees will become interspersed with bright yellow, slowly spreading to the entire tree over a month or so.  But this year, we see nearly zero yellow ... yet.  I'm assure you, that day is coming, but I am at a loss to tell you when.  I suspect the first really cold night may bring on a rush to Fall, and the yellow leaves will show very quickly.

Another skunk was bounding along beside Globe Drive as I came home around 7:30 p.m. last night.  Funny how you won't see (or smell) them all summer, and then in the Fall .. they are all around.  I still get a whiff of skunk every few evenings.

Yesterday turned out to be the busiest day I've had as a notary public in many years.  I can go for two weeks without getting a call to facilitate a loan signing for an escrow company.  And then it seems I've suddenly shown up on someone's radar screen again.  But yesterday was ridiculous.

Without going into boring detail, I had a 9:00 a.m., dash home, print up docs for the 6:00 p.m., grab a bite of lunch, record and edit my audio for our Business News website, post that, pick up everything I needed for the 3:00 p.m. and the 6:00 p.m. and roll.

While I ate lunch, I got a call to see if I could do a small job.  I already had to go to Three Rivers for the 3:00, and since the small job was in the same place, I agreed, printed the docs, and added that one to the mix.

And, bottom line, it all fit ... almost.

As I was driving along on Spruce Avenue on my way toward Highway 198 to go to Three Rivers I had a sudden sinking thought.  I called Stockton and sure enough I had failed to do the one last thing needed to have my Stock Report appear on the web ... post it.  I'd done the recording, and editing.  I had it all ready to go ... and got so busy getting three more appointments sorted out I forgot to simply post the blasted audio to the web.  Sigh.

That seems to happen more as I get older ... but I forget why ...

One more loan signing this morning, some grocery shopping and other errands, and hopefully time to get ready for Writers Group tonight with Chapter 4 of Fire on Black Mountain, my young reader's book.  I'm tempted to say no, and stay home, but I really need to be there and read as well as help with the critique of the other folks' work.  So, am going to give it a go.

No comments: