Monday, October 11, 2010

Great Weekend, Crazy Week

The wedding rehearsal on Friday and the ceremony on Saturday turned out well.  Nice group.

My phone rang off the hook on Friday and then again on Saturday, so I've ended up with three Loan Signings on Tuesday, and another now on Wednesday.  No complaints though, let me assure you.

I finished the rough draft on the next Daunt to Dillonwood column and should have it ready for turning in by afternoon.  At this moment if is about 200 words longer than it needs to be, so the editing needs to be a chop-and-whack session.

On Friday of this week, I have to make my way to Chico for a meeting, returning on Sunday afternoon.  It is close to a six hour drive each way.

Sunday morning, just before 7:00 a.m., I was heading for Springville.  As I came into the river bottom area I spied a yearling doe walking toward the river for her morning drink.  I slowed as she passed across the road in front of me, and walked into the thickets along the side of the river.

These are the same thickets I mentioned in the column about the potential for flooding.  I was very near this little doe, yet as I got even with her, I couldn't see her.  She moved, and I caught her motion.  But she very accurately stopped with  thick area of leaves between us, and both literally and figuratively disappeared.

Then I spied the fawn doing the same thing she was.  It would move a little, but used leaves as a shield from my line of vision.  Very amazing creatures, with a finely-tuned sense of how to disappear from view.

I also noticed the Sycamore trees in the river bottom have not even begun to turn  yellow yet.  Here we are nearing the middle of October, and all the leaves seem to be holding their green.  I suspect when they do turn, the change will be quite abrupt and sudden.

Did you notice the small group of Buzzards in the trees along the river bottom south of the Barn Theater the other day.  Just like humans, I guess there's always a group that either don't pay attention, or didn't get the message.

No comments: