Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Of Those Days

I got around in good time this morning so I could leave for Los Angeles promptly at 8:00 a.m. and have adequate time to make an 11:30 appointment.

In reality the trouble started Tuesday afternoon. I went to get the tires on my truck rotated from front to back.  Before the dust settled and the checks cleared, I had new brakes on the front end, the brake rotors had been turned, and there were two brand new tires on the front.

But now I was ready for my trip ... or a least I thought I was.

Up early, horses fed, cattle fed, all my chores done, and I rolled down the drive 5 minutes before 8:00, planning on a quick stop for fuel on the way.  I was very smug as I turned onto Highway 190.  Not only was I thoroughly ready for the trip, but I was also right on time.

As I got up to speed I glanced down to scan the gauges.  The symbol of a battery was shining bright red.  Then it went out .. came on again ... and promptly winked out again.  That was troubling.  All was not as securely ready as I had hoped.

I stopped to fill up my tank.  When I started on the battery light never went out.  I made a quick call and resignedly headed across town to they guys who work on my truck.

Two hours later I was on my way to Los Angeles, with a brand new alternator humming along nicely.  Fortunately, it was all covered by Warranty, and I was only out time, not money.

I called the doctor's office.  They said to come on in whenever I could get there.  They could work me in.

The upshot of the day was that I made a round-trip to Los Angeles with no dangerous problems, no tire blow-outs (which had been a real threat I learned), and the brakes stopped me smoothly.  And I didn't have an electrical problem in the middle of the Ridge Route.

Even the doctor's appointment worked flawlessly.  I only waited 10 minutes before seeing the doctor.

And on top of all that, I got in and out of Los Angeles between drive-time traffic, driving most of the freeway miles at cruising speed.

So, I guess it really WAS one of THOSE days ... a really GOOD day!

No comments: