Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spirit's doing well

Spirit, the twin-calf born Friday afternoon and being cared for by our neighbors, is doing exceptionally well.  If we aren't careful, when she comes back to our hilltop to join the rest of the herd, she's going to be more human than animal.

That calf is being absolutely and positively spoiled.  Spoiled rotten in fact.  But right now, that's just fine.  She's alive.  There is no doubt she would not have survived the night had the ladies not intervened.  So go ahead and spoil her a little.

Milk Replacer from a bottle is providing all the nourishment she needs for now.  But a little scoop of Calf Manna will be offered to her right away, as the calf can do very nicely on that.  Add in a little hay for roughage, and "Spirit" will be all set.

I spent the morning working on a presentation I am going to be doing for the area's 4th Grade students at the Butterfield Stage History Education Day at Zalud Park on Friday.  4th Graders study California History this year, so the Butterfield Day started to augment their education, utilizing folks of the area who can provide "Living History" demonstrations and presentations.

My 15 minutes with the kids will be about "Reading Cattle Brands."  When I am finished, they will be able to look at a brand and tell whether it is a "Lazy R" brand, or maybe a "V Hanging S."  By going through the pages of my presentation, I'll involve the kids in "calling" brands.

If there is time left at the end of my 15 minutes, I can always tell a story about Judge Roy Bean, the Hanging Judge, who convicted a cattle thief.

Using a "running iron" the bad guy "fixed" the Bar-S brand to look like his brand, the Forty-Eight.  As soon as the brand healed, it was impossible to tell the new brand from the old.

So how did Judge Bean get the goods on the thief?

Come to Zalud Park Friday morning disguised as a 4th Grader and I'll tell you.  If I have time.

No comments: