Friday, October 1, 2010

Sycamore Leaves and Skunks

As I was heading for Springville yesterday evening about 5:30 I gave a closer inspection to the Sycamore trees in the river bottom along Upper Globe.  I discovered something I find somewhat interesting.  The yellow leaves that usually begin to show up on a "here and there" basis about now ... aren't.  The trees growing away from the river bank itself, whose roots are not soaked by the river water every day, are really getting that dusty look. The leaves are losing their verdant sheen, and are looking very tired.  Those leaves will turn color very soon, I suspect.

The big Sycamores standing on the very edge of the river, whose roots are bathed in Tule River water all day every day, are still pretty green.  There are the "one-sy and two-sy" leaves here and there that have turned color, but are still hanging on.  But the green of the majority of leaves is holding rather persistently.  Makes me wonder if we are going to go through the river bottom one day under bright green leaves, and the next day be showered in yellow leaves.

And what's this deal with all the skunks?  Though they are not at all an unheard-of thing around the area, last Sunday night I was returning home about 8:30 p.m. and there was one bounding along beside my driveway, heading off into the field.  That's the first skunk I've seen in many months.

But man I've smelled them a bunch in the last two to three weeks, maybe even a bit longer.  Fortunately my dogs have not been the recipient of a spraying, nor the cause of that familiar "wood-kitty" smell, but it has wafted across my hilltop every day or two for some time.

Last night I was in a meeting in Springville at the Lighthouse Chapel across the river behind the Fire Station.  About 8:15 p.m. we were all treated to a whiff of skunk.  It wasn't very strong, but was certainly there.

I've been watching the current weather with some interest.  It is quite obvious the major high pressure area in the Arizona, New Mexico area has either broken down, or is moving around.  The clouds we are experiencing are coming up out of the Gulf of California, and the moist tropical air is coming right along with the clouds.

The national weather forecast this morning showed a band of green, which indicates showers or rain, aiming northwest, coming into California over El Centro and Mexicali, through the Riverside, San Bernardino area, and into the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley, though not very far north.

My iPhone weather also shows a high potential for thunder-showers this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.  I hope it holds off from about 5:30 to 7:00 both tonight and tomorrow, because I am officiating at an outside wedding at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, and the rehearsal is tonight.

No comments: