Thursday, November 18, 2010

Warm Today, but Get the "Woolie's" Out!

Fall is indeed arriving in the San Joaquin Valley late Friday.  The weather forecast says we're going to have a 74 degree high today, with a 40 low.  Then 69 high on Friday, with only a 46 low that night, with the rain coming in during the late evening.

Saturday is supposed to be off-and-on drippy, and only rising to 61 degrees.  Then only a 57 high on Sunday, 53 Monday, 53 Tuesday, 54 Wednesday, and back up to 63 on Thursday.

But there is a distinct possibility of frost on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings, as lows are predicted in the 33 degree range.  So some of the cold pockets should show a little white.  As is common following a cold storm from the Gulf of Alaska, there is cold and dry air behind the storm, thus the sharp cooling.

No, this isn't the local weather forecast, but the changing season is always interesting to me.  Having been raised in the cattle industry, where we lived and died by the weather, it still has a great appeal.

My wife, Sharon, fails to see the positive side of all this.  She absolutely hates these swings in temperature, ie: 74 high today, to 53 high on Monday and Tuesday.  Her arthritis, and sometimes general demeanor, both frequently get grumpy.  Additionally, she often contracts a nasty cold this time of year, blaming the 20-degree swings in temperature.

I got an e-mail the other day from one of my neighbors who is also visited by the local meandering Peacock.  She's even named him Howard, saying she sent a link to this blog to several friends so they could see pictures of the Peacock she talks about.

I've been keeping an eye on our two horses, Shiplay (an older mare) and her gelding son Dandy, and how they interact with the new horse, Strawberry.  I have the new drafter (pix below) in the corral feeding her hay and some grain, and letting them get acquainted over the fence.

All appears to be quiet.  I haven't heard any squealing over the fence for a couple of days, though I was indeed gone all day yesterday.  But, think it is almost time to turn her out and let them be in the same pasture.

That will probably mean a return of the squeals and being a bit territorial.  But, unless I miss my guess, even that will settle down quickly.  So, this afternoon I think it'll be a good time to find out.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it seems I've contracted one of those things we call the common cold. I'm with you Sharon !