Wednesday, November 10, 2010

No Spider Webs Flying, Walking, or Otherwise

And we got 0.75 inches of rain out of that last little bit.   With no warning either.

Oh well, such is life in the country.  Just when you think you can trust a flying spider web, they letcha down!

One other little item I though of the other day, also relates to rain storms.  Look at Black Mountain when a storm is coming and clouds are gathering, and if you can still see the top of the mountain (5,000 feet altitude) don't worry about getting much rain.  On the other hand, if the clouds settle down and cover the peak, down to maybe the 2,500 foot level, ditch the roads.  It's gonna rain.

Evidently, though the local area will not get much rain unless the cloud deck bottom is at or below 5,000 feet.  Above that, I suspect there is insufficient "crowding" against the mountains, and it just goes on to Nevada.

Also, if it gets really low, like on top of the foothills themselves, it's also less likely to rain very much.  It may well get foggy, but probably won't rain much.

Today was a perfect example of foothill rains.  We were getting a little "frizzle" of a rain this afternoon when I headed for town.  By the time I got to Success Lake, I could see bright sunshine past Rocky Hill and it had quit raining.

Often, it can be bone-dry in town, and get a good rain at home, because the hills hold the storms along the base of the mountain range, and squeeze out a little moisture.

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, and today Porterville buried one of their own.  A very poignant reminder to us all.

I've spent the past two days working hard on some handyman jobs for a lady who has apartments, and have had neither the energy, nor the time, to post to the blog.  And right now, I'm about to fall off my chair.

I also got to do a wedding this afternoon late, so elected to skip Writers Group tonight.  By the time I got home, it was almost time to start the group, I was in Springville and hungry as I hadn't eaten.  Next week.

No comments: