Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Two Kinds of Honkers

First thing this morning, I took trash to the trailer.  My attention was caught by a loose "V" of Canada Honkers following the river up toward Springville.  I didn't take time to see where they went, but there have been times when they circled around against the south side of Snailhead, the big hill south of Springville, and then back south along the foothills, nearly going right over the top of the house.  That is always pretty nifty to hear and watch.

There is also a small pond south of the house a quarter mile or so, that the Canada Geese have claimed as theirs.  They congregate around the pond, on the bank and surrounding pasture ground.  I have seen as many as 15 or 20 big Honkers there at times.

But the honker I saw this morning was not gray and black, but very much multi-colored.

We have a Peacock roaming our neighborhood that has survived every predator.  I'm certain the bobcat and coyote would really love to make a meal of this big guy.  But he's outsmarted them.

But instead of the sounds I've heard in Mooney Grove, and locations like that where Peacocks are kept, this one honks.  He sounds more like a car horn, or one of those big-bulbed "ahh-oo-gah" horns than an animal.

One day this summer, before I had seen what he looked like, I heard this funny honking sound. And the sound moved.  I was irrigating and was spending several minutes in the area below the barn, but I couldn't spot what was making that strange noise.  When I did, I was floored.


He visits at least three of the houses around this corner of Globe Drive, and each one puts out feed for him.  So, he's got a great deal going.  All he as to do is go from one to the other.  But he seems to go to one house for a few days, then to the next, never wearing out his welcome.  

When he visits our house on his circle of visitations, we have a pie-pan we put some wild bird seed in for him.  He knows all about that.  


Even though I had a bit of telephoto lens cranked into this shot, I was still within 10 feet or less.

When he first showed up on our lawn, our 3-year-old Boxer, Beau, was incensed that creature should be on our lawn, and proceeded to make a dash to try to catch him and rid the hilltop of unsavory characters. But a rather unconcerned Peacock displayed his escape mechanism.  He simply flew vertically a few feet then over to the roof of the garage.  

He honked derisively at Beau, as I yelled at the dog to let him alone.  Beau still doesn't really like having him around, but he'll behave and let the Peacock eat his grain.

This morning I got another start.  I went to the barn to feed hay to the horses and cattle, only to find the big bird up on top of the stack of hay bales.  Obviously, that's a safe perch, even if he went up to the rafters.  Obviously it offers some protection.  I hope he doesn't mess up the hay too much though.


This afternoon, I heard him honking out in the pasture on the west side of the house.  I went out to fill the empty pan, leaving the back door open.  

Beau put him on the fence, but only half-heartedly.  I yelled at Beau to get back in the house, which he did, and the Peacock hopped down onto the patio again.

I rattled the grain in the pan, then placed it out on the corner of the lawn.  He came right over toward me, with the dogs watching carefully.  But they were being good about it all.

I sat in the patio a few minutes, shot a few pictures, and made the dogs let him eat in peace.  After going inside to write this, I heard him honk down in the pasture to the west again.

It was almost as if he was saying, "Thanks."

No comments: