Sunday, November 7, 2010

Floating Spider Webs

Every rancher or farmer has certain things they watch for, which may give them a clue as to what is coming down the pipe, weather-wise.  I have always watched for, and felt were reasonably accurate indicators, the big floating gobs of spider web drifting along in a gentle breeze.

They don't seem to fly when the breeze is anything but a drifting zephyr, however.  The spider evidently spews out a big blob of spider web which gathers into a loose ball.  The spider then spins out a single thread, and I've been told, hangs on the bottom when the big bunch of web catches the wind and is blown away, sort of like hanging on the bottom of a balloon.

Now why they are doing this, I am not too sure.  I've always assumed the creatures were responding to changes in barometric pressures, or more probably a change in the PATTERN of barometric changes.  Because they have interpreted impending weather involving precipitation, they're moving.  To safety?  To a drier spot?  Who knows?  But when one sees several "flying spider webs" floating along on a gentle afternoon breeze, it's a decent bet rain is coming within a day or two, if not sooner.

I spied a couple of flying webs during the early afternoon on Friday, though what I might term as "puny" ones.  They weren't very full or large.  I looked at the weather forecast.  As it didn't show any real indication of serious rain, I passed it off as a goofy confused spider.  Maybe he (or she) was just "practicing" for later.

Until yesterday afternoon, however.

I was in Strathmore during the middle of the day.  At 1:45 I was startled to note the wind was really moving the trees I could see out the door of the Memorial Building.  I headed for the truck at 2:00 p.m. ... in a persistent shower.  Hmmm, maybe those spiders knew what they were doing after all.

Of course, the rain was just a tease, and didn't put enough water in the gauge here at home to be measurable.  Even a small sprinkle at this time of year, while we all wait anxiously for a serious rain of an inch or more, is another few days.  And the grass is moist this morning.

But you can be sure I'll be watching the drifting afternoon air to see if I can spot a big fluffy gob of spider web floating along.

No comments: