Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Another Day in Paradise

As I went out the door this morning to go check on irrigation, I had no intentions of doing a follow-up on Spirit or anything else for that matter.  But Fate has other plans sometimes.

As I stepped out the door, the big peacock had visited out hilltop, and was inside the dog kennel picking through Spirit's grain for morsels.

Notice he now has a huge, beautiful tail.  One of these days, I'll catch it fanned out.
So, having grabbed a quick shot of Honk, or Howard, depending on what you call him, I headed off to irrigate.  Spirit was laying down under a Pyracantha bush, so figured she might stay there.

Nope, not this girl.  She was not far behind me when I approached the ditch.

Yesterday's posting here showed you a couple of pictures of a momma cow and her new baby.  Momma had been leaving her little girl tucked away on the other side of the horse pasture.  Today was the day she brought her calf around to join everybody else.

She and the baby were laying down in the shade near the ditch.


Baby was not too sure about me being so close, so she got up.


Of course, I had to get a couple of pictures to share with you, and then get my irrigating done.  So Spirit, the dogs and I all proceeded down into the pasture.  Spirit is trying to learn to "socialize" with the other animals, so goes down and gets near.  Sometimes the calves will come closer to her, but this morning everybody sort of held their distance.


Once the irrigating was finished and the horses had been thrown a little hay, I started back to the house, only to find that Spirit had stopped to say "Hello" to the new baby.


If I tried to force these little events to happen, it would never come to be.  It seems I must certainly live a truly blessed life.  I hope you enjoy reading about these little day-by-day occurrences.

No comments: